People Above Politics

Litz brings Local Government, Small Business, and Conservation Experience to the Table.

   Jo Ellen is a 5-term Lebanon County Commissioner who is the Boots on the Ground for local government implementing programs to Protect Children, Serve Families, Secure Justice, Manage Emergencies, and Safeguard Elections.  In short, Commissioner Litz Safeguards the Public Trust.

Whether it was the 2004 Campbelltown Tornado, Tropical Storm Lee in 2011, Jonas 30" Snowstorm 2016 , or the Summer Storm of 2018,

I've been here for you.

Litz was elected by her peers from across the state of Pennsylvania to serve as the 2012 president and 2013 chairman of the Board for the statewide commissioner's association. 

Litz is about starting a conversation from public structures like roads and bridges, water and sewer, schools, and energy.  A sound infrastructure is the basis of a sound economy.  Litz believes we need these Economy Boosting Jobs to put money into the pockets of people so that they can buy homes, cars, and goods.  Litz supports a transportation plan to make our roads and bridges safe.  In this way, we will create good paying jobs, get people to these jobs, our goods to market, and children to schools. 

Jo Ellen served as the chair of the MPO (2012-15)--Metropolitan Planning Organization for Lebanon County--where she helps to prioritize local road and bridge projects with PennDOT and the Federal Highway Administration. 

Keep Litz doing the People's Business.


As We Ignite our Generation 2015 - Duration- 3 minutes, 59 seconds


County Commissioner Jo Ellen Litz speaks to voters- Duration- 78 seconds


Campaign/Rail Trail Map Postcard.pdf

Home Up AdultProbation Aging Assessment BailAdministration CedarHaven ChamberCommerce Children&Youth COLT Commissioners CommunityAction Conservation Controller CooperativeExtension CourtAdmin Detectives DistrictAttorney DomesticRelations DrugAlcohol EconomicDevelopment EMA HousingRedevelopment Judges JuvenileProbation LawLibrary MHMR MIS Planning Prison Prothonotary PublicDefender Purchasing RecorderDeeds RegisterOfWills Renova Sheriff TaxClaim Tourism Treasurer UnitedWay Veteran'sAffairs VictimWitness VoterRegistration WeightsMeasures

Recipes     People Above Politics

Follow Me on Pinterest  Follow JoEllenLitz on Twitter 

 QR Code for this web.


Elections/Why Vote.pdf


Meeting Highlights

bulletGet Updates: Demand open government and transparency, like her 24/7 access to YouTube videos of meetings Local Government 2 - Playlist... To receive email or text alerts, send your contact information to Jo Ellen at or text 717.644-4698 .

Litz Co Commercial Rentals, 1.386 acre Property Available with established Rt 422 access & curb cuts.  Out of the flood plain.  Shovel ready with public water, sewer, electricity, gas & cable.  Zoned C2 General Commercial in N Lebanon Twp.  Another fast growing municipality, N Cornwall Twp is across Route 422.  Drone tour of subject site:


My Blog on the Lebanon Daily News site:


LINKED IN Jo Ellen Litz


YouTube posts by Commissioner Litz:  



Taking Action, Getting Results.


NEED HELP?  Try one of these resources:


Human Services 2015 Directory

bullet "No Wrong Door"-2016 Lebanon County Resource Guide

Community Resource Manual,28MB.pdf


Public Officials Directory prepared by LC Planning Department



to Team Litz  using PayPal

Invest in my campaign for commissioner.  As a TEAM, we can overcome Big Money, and make this a People's Campaign.  Are you with me?

Each of us is at a different place in our life.  Some people can volunteer time.  Other people can provide financial support--$5, $50, or $500 a month.  Whatever your situation, your contribution of time and or money is gratefully appreciated.   

Your early and/or monthly donation will help Jo Ellen to get elected by printing literature, reserving media buys, ordering signs….  

Thank you for your help and support during this campaign.  Your unwavering commitment is the wind beneath my wings.

On election day, every vote matters.  You matter!  And I can't win this race without you.


Volunteer  today  Jo Ellen Litz


Thank you for your support and for all that you do.

Sincerely, Jo Ellen

People Above Politics

Team Litz:  Treasurer, Cathy Garrison

Honorary Chair:     Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll --a woman who broke the glass ceiling and contributed greatly to PA politics; born in 1930, died November 12, 2008.

Jo Ellen Litz Campaign Video

Swatara Watershed Association 


ABWA Homepage link

American Business Women's Association

Lebanon County Commission for Women


Woman's Club of Lebanon


Web site paid for by Jo Ellen Litz. 

Children & Youth

"What's done to children, they will do to society."   Karl Menninger

James Holtry is the Executive Director of this unit.  The office is located in room 401 of the Municipal Bwpe5.jpg (21512 bytes)uilding, 400 S. 8th St., Lebanon PA  17042.  Phone 274-2801, extension 2304.


Referrals come from schools, police, hospitals, citizens, agencies....  An Intake/CPS Unit investigates, validates, and develops a treatment plan to close the case, or refer to a group home unit, foster care/institutional unit, or protective services.   An Intake/CPS Unit must investigate child abuse cases within 24 hours and make final disposition within 30 days.  General intakes are typically investigated with 48-72 hours and final disposition within 30 days.


bulletProtective services provides in-home service in conjunction with the treatment plan.   The agency may or may not have custody.  This unit attempts to keep the family unit together by resolving issues and problems within the family.  If this fails, this unit will refer the case to foster care or group home unit for placement.  This is only done if the family fails to ensure the on-going safety of the child and/or fails to meet the stipulations of the treatment plan.
bulletFoster care/Institutional units provide foster care placement, specialized foster care and residential placement.  This unit works with families while the child is placed outside the home.  The child is returned home upon the successful completion of the treatment plan and a reasonable assurance that the child will remain safe.  Children come into placement from all units of the agency. 
bulletGroup home units provide placement for adolescents in a boys or girls group home located in Lebanon County.  Children can enter a group home from all three units of the agency.  Houseparents live in the units.


An agency counselor provides secondary services to both individuals and families for active cases of the agency in all units.  The Counselor also provides group therapy, victim groups, independent living groups, and parenting courses.  Outside referrals for counseling are not accepted.

If your child is placed in Foster Care, take note!  There is a new federal law called the Adoption and Safe Families Act of 1997.   This new law requires big changes in the ways Children and Youth works with you and your family.  This new law applies to you even if you asked Children and Youth to place your child in a home away from you.

The new federal law sets strict limits and deadlines that you must meet.   You need to think lonwpe6.jpg (12719 bytes)g, hard & seriously about the consequences of:


missing meetings with your child's social workers;


missing visits with your children;


missing scheduled hearings in Family Court;


delaying solving the family problems that led to your children's living away from home.

The consequences may be that your parental rights will be terminated without your agreement, and your children placed for adoption.

You likely know while your children are living away from home, you should be working with your social workers.  You know you need to make changes in the ways you care for your children.  This may mean making big changes in your own life.

Under the new law, parents are required to take responsibility for making those changes in a limited amount of time.

Children & Youth is also required to do things differently under this new law.  When a child is placed away from home, there will be hearings in Family Court.  These hearings will determine if your child will remain away from your home and when or if your child can go home.wpe7.jpg (21341 bytes)

Permanency means your child must be able to expect a decision about where and with whom he or she will live.  The new law allows only 12 months -one year- before that decision is made by Family Court.

At the permanency hearing, there must be a decision at that time about:


whether and when a child will be returned home, or


placed for adoption, or


referred for legal guardianship, or


placed in another permanent living arrangement.

Whether your child or children will return home will depend upon whether you have made the necessary changes in your life and how you plan to take care of your children.

If you haven't made needed changes and your child has been in foster care or in another living arrangement for 15 of the past 22 months, your parental rights could be terminated by Family Court.  Your child or children may then be placed for adoption.

What kinds of problems should you work on?

You must work with your social workers to solve the problems that led to your children going to live with relatives or a foster family.  These may be problems like:


drug or alcohol abuse, or


beating your children, or


not taking care of your children's need for food or a doctor's care.

The important thing to remember is that you do not have much time to solve these problems.  Children & Youth will work with you and provide services to help you resolve your problems.

The new law requires you show you have solved, or nearly solved, these problems within one year of your child's going into foster care or other living arrangement.  If you cannot do this, your child may be placed for adoption.

You may not be able to have your children returned to you if:


an infant is abandoned;


you have involuntarily lost parental rights to another child of yours;


you have murdered one of your children;


you have helped someone else kill one of your children;


you have hurt one of your children so badly that you have been convicted of a felony assault;


your actions have resulted in serious bodily injury to any of your children;


you fail to stay involved with your child for six months.