People Above Politics
QR Code for this web.
Commercial Rentals, 1.386 acre
Property Available with established Rt 422 access & curb cuts. Out of
the flood plain. Shovel ready with public water, sewer, electricity,
gas & cable. Zoned C2 General Commercial in N Lebanon Twp. Another
fast growing municipality, N Cornwall Twp is across Route 422. Drone tour
of subject site:
Action, Getting Results.
NEED HELP? Try one of these resources:
Thank you for your help and support
during this campaign. Your unwavering commitment is
the wind beneath my wings.
On election day, every vote matters. You
matter! And I can't win this race without you.
you for your support and for all that you do.
Sincerely, Jo Ellen
People Above Politics
Team Litz: Treasurer, Cathy Garrison
Honorary Chair: Lt.
Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll --a woman who broke the glass ceiling and
contributed greatly to PA politics; born
in 1930, died
November 12, 2008.
Swatara Watershed Association
American Business Women's Association
Lebanon County Commission for
Club of Lebanon
Web site paid for by Jo Ellen Litz.
7 Wonders of Lebanon
By Jo Ellen Litz with nominations and votes by the people of Lebanon
Survey results posted July 28, 2007.
WGAL TV8 would love your suggestions.
Click here to add your picture of a Lebanon County Seven Wonders.
Middle Creek Wildlife Refuge and St. Anthony's
Wilderness were tied for 7th place.
Special thanks to the Patriot
News for running an article on the 7 Wonders of the Mid State.
This article started the wheels turning for creating the 7 Wonders of
Lebanon County as well as "The List" that follows.
Residents across PA are welcome to submit nominations for their county
too. Berks County,
Chester County, and
Schuylkill County did.
Yes, you can still suggest additions for "The List."
It will be nice to have a comprehensive list of what you value all
together in one place. Email
Jo Ellen Litz .
Feel free to utilize "The List" to promote Lebanon County.
"The List" of
Nominations and honorable
navigable river on maps since the 1700's, the Swatara Creek: Water source,
recreation, geology, history, scenic beauty. The Swatara is now a Water
Trail recognized both statewide and nationally. Appalachian Trail
Bridge, a lenticular structure span.
- Annville just gets prettier and prettier, while in downtown ____ it
ain't not. Allen Theatre, Victorian mansions, churches, Kettering's
Corner, florist, Batdorf, Brandt's Flour Mill in Annville has been in
operation since the 1800's.... The Annville train station.
- Area behind "Pa's Place" in Jonestown, had something to do with the
Under Ground Railroad
- BBs Grocery
- Bed and Breakfast Inns: Strawberry Patch, Swatara Creek Inn,
- Bethlehem Steel--Babe Ruth lived and played here
- Blue Mountain: a bird flyway, fossils, hunting
- Bordner cabin & Aycrigg's Falls in Swatara State Park
- Brazenhill, the former Worrilow Mansion
- Camp Bashore Boy Scout Camp;
Black Joe’s” hut (now a replica) is the site where
this runaway slave lived
alone on Camp
Bashore property (then the Fahler farm) until the ripe old age of 112.
- Chow chow, Corn pie, Dippy eggs, Hot Dogs from the William Penn
Park: Glider swings, Music in the Park, tennis courts, mini golf,
baseball, fireworks, envirothons, picnics, swimming pool…. Robert
Coleman was PA's first millionaire.
- Cornwall: Iron Furnace, Open Pit,
Miner's Village, Alden Mansion, home of architect Stanford White's first
- Downtown Lebanon architecture such as the Samler Building; Stoy
Cumberland St.--home of the Historical Society, and home of Lebanon's
first courthouse; Washington
Tavern; Council of the Arts on Willow St.... People travel to Europe to see the kind of architecture
that we have downtown.
- Farmer's Market: Buy Fresh, Buy Local, restaurants, art gallery
on the third floor.... Council on the Arts, Willow Street.
- Farms--Century farms, preserved farms, Rich soil
Indiantown Gap: Since 1930. One of 15 air to ground bombing & gunnery
ranges in US & the Army's only artillery range in PA. PA National
Guard Military Museum. National Cemetery and amphitheater.
Regal Frittalary butterfly habitat, largest habitat east of the
Mississippi. Civil War re-enactment
- Fire Departments--all volunteers are our heroes!
- Fort Zeller, off Route 419 in Newmanstown
Fair at the EXPO each July: Animals, rodeo, tractors, demolition derby,
hot air balloons, acrobats, food, music, rides….
- Fredericksburg--Eggs, Wings, and Chicken Things at the Hinklefest;
Since the early 1930's, beginning with Cobel Grimes, then Senator Clarence
cut-up chicken capital of the world (Bell and Evans provides organic
chicken with no antibiotics or preservatives).
- GLRA, in addition to a landfill, an educational campus demonstrating
wind, solar, and methane energy; recycling; composting; pioneering
wetlands to treat effluent; a walking path along the Union Canal tow path,
complete with a lock; wildlife; farm land; run by a board representing
each municipality in Lebanon County; and more. GLRA has won numerous
environmental awards from EPA and the PA Governor's Environmental
- Harper's Tavern, a former stagecoach stop; ghost tales.
- Heisey's Diner: The smell of bacon wafting over the fields.
- Historic churches: St. Luke's Church, 22 South 6th; Tabor UCC, 124 S
10th; Salem Lutheran Church, 119 N 8th; St. Mark's UCC, 426 N. 8th;
Assumption Blessed Virgin Mary (St. Mary's) at 8th & Cumberland…and
their stained glass windows. Bindnagle's in Palmyra, built in
1803/04 with a congregation dating
to 1745. Zion's Children's Church, built in 1875, is currently named
"Fredericksburg Baptist Church."
- Historic Schaefferstown / Fountain Park: firepans unearthed by
archaeology for stills in the basement of the Alexander Schaeffer farm that predates
the stills found in Mt. Vernon; Wooden (oak) water pipes (1st Water system
in the US), Thomas R. Brendle Museum, Gemberling-Rex House from the 1750's, Michters Distillery, Krall Log Barn (being dismantled and
preserved), Cherry Festival, Apple Butter Festival....
- 3400 registered historic sites in Lebanon County
- Hole # 1 on Monroe Valley golf course, the view through the mountain
gap is simply beautiful.
- Hole #10 at Iron Valley Golf Course, looking out over the Lebanon
Valley is awesome.
- Home of Opera Fudge; Wertz's appeared
on "Dirtiest Jobs."
Where else can you watch
them make caramel corn in the window every day (718 Cumberland
St.-Rt422- in downtown Lebanon), and have handmade
chocolates made in the back room? Jean's chocolate art. (Van Winkle's makes opera fudge
too--312 Guilford St., Lebanon PA 17042.) Lebanon used to have an opera house, really, and on the way,
people would stop by the local candy store to buy fudge to eat at the
opera. So, they started to call it opera fudge.
- John Worrilow, a walking talking history book. Former Mayor of
the City of Lebanon.
- Kleinfeltersville, which is the longest spelling of a Post Office in
- Lebanon Bologna made by Weaver's,
Seltzer's (Dirtiest Jobs), Baum's and Kutztown Bologna! Lee Laudermilch also
makes his own brand of Lebanon Bologna. Steph Zimmerer makes a
"Crock of Bologna," which is also for sale.
Lebanon Community Theatre
- an all-volunteer community
theater producing six local live theatrical productions each
year, plus holding a one-act play writing contest, and offering $1,000
scholarships to young college students who have been active with LCT.
See their web site at
LCT remains a viable live theater in tough times when many live theaters
- Lebanon Valley College founded in 1866, Suzanne Arnold Art Gallery.
- LV Rail Trail ---- 20 + miles connect to the Conewago trail in
Lancaster. Bridges, spurs to the “Jigger shop,” Governor Dick, Horse Shoe
- Legend of the Blue-Eyed Six--the first case where someone was murdered
for life insurance; a movie by the Kreider Brothers is out on DVD.
- Lick Memorial, Cedar Hill Cemetery
- Light's Fort at 11th and Maple streets--(1742)
- Limestone Springs Trout Hatchery. Take the kids, or grandkids,
and catch a big one.
- Log House on Chestnut St, in Lebanon
- Meier House, original in EVERY way,
from the 1600's!! In Myerstown.
- MiddleCreek Wildlife Refuge--part of
Project 70. Try to visit when the snow geese rest on their
migration; Tundra Swans. One
mile south of Kleinfeltersville on 5000 acres of land.
- Miller's Restaurant, Jonestown--Home of the 10-cent cup of coffee
- Mt. Gretna: The bucolic century old
unique example of a whole community of cottage architecture in a wooded
setting, a hot spot in the county since 1892! The history & how it
adds spice & uniqueness to our community. The Lake,
Jigger Shop, Chautauqua Play House, Timbers, hard-wood forest, Dinosaur
rock, Governor Dick & tower, oldest mini golf in US...
- Mt. Lebanon Campmeeting-amphitheater for a chapel/tabernacle and small cottages
- Limestone Quarries: Calcite, Avon Heights; Richland's Millardsville
Millard Quarry; Smith's Quarry.
- Pig stomach; Pork and Sauerkraut; Potato filling, Potpie
- Quentin Riding Club:
Nestled in the lush PA "Dutch" farmlands
are the estates of families whose forbearers owned the mines, ore pits and
furnaces that produced artillery, shot and stoves for Washington's army.
Some of the mansions of the founders' families are gone or were converted
to other uses, and their orchards, pastures and croplands
have yielded to suburban sprawl. But one parcel has become a unique
recreation center, Quentin Riding Club, where the Colemans imported
America's first Hackney horses, the fine carriage animals that moved
England's aristocracy in the mid-nineteenth century. Mountain spring water
was piped to each stall and to hand-hewn stone watering troughs. There
were blacksmith shops, carriage sheds, isolation barns for mares in foal,
tack rooms, grooms' offices and small animal shelters, all surrounding an
18-room home occupied by the manager and including a detached office
building for the business staff of the Estates. Local businessmen
purchased the facility for their prize steeds in 1934 and later enrolled
social members to help defray the operating costs.
- Railroad Stations--Cornwall; Lebanon, Reading--on North 8th Street and
Chestnut Street; Annville; Palmyra on North Railroad Street; Myerstown.
- Rhine of the Tulpehocken.
- Richland: the only town in the country that has a Railroad crossing
that cuts it's town in half and intersects the town square. Listed in
Ripley's Believe It or Not books, and it was also a Jeopardy question.
vegetable stands - few visitors can believe that people leave
their produce unprotected on the side of the road and trust buyers to put
their money in the coffee can.
- Route 419 Scenic Byway--rolling farm
- St. Anthony's Wilderness (one of the
largest gameland areas in the state),
once a railroad, and runs eastward 20 miles from the Susquehanna River,
Dauphin County, to the Lebanon Reservoir, Schuylkill County. Also called
Stony Creek Trail. On the western Lebanon County boundary shared
with Dauphin County is Yellow Spring tower, and the eastern
boundary shared with Schuylkill County contains Box Car Rocks,
or Chinese Wall, also known as
Point of Rocks. Drive through once each
year--when the leaves turn color.
- Schwalm's in Cleona
- Shoofly pie
- Shuey's pretzels with their brick oven, a great little place at 7th
Avenue and East Lehman Street
- One time largest outdoor swimming pool in the state at the Gibble
- The caring people of Lebanon County.
- The language is also a wonder for people who are not native to the
- Trails: Heritage Trail; Bike Trail; Appalachian Trail; Horseshoe
Trail; Swatara Water Trail
- Twin Grove Park, antique carousel and other amusement rides, arcade,
camp grounds, swimming.
- Union Canal remnants, from the Tunnel
to locks, Stover's Dam, Ebenezer Lake,
and Water Works.
- YMCA, 105 years strong
What do we share with our neighbors in south-central
PA? National Rankings for Living in the Midstate (Patriot News):
|Best cities for retirees: Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine;|
|Top overall cities by Boomtowns, Inc., magazine;|
|Top 50 Smart Places to Live: Kiplinger’s;|
|Best Mid-size City in the East for Entrepreneurs:
|Ultimate Hockey Experiences in North America:
|Best Cities for relocating families:
|Least Stressful Place to Live in the Nation: Sperling’s
|America's Minor League capital--Senators, Bears,
Barnstormers....Street & Smith's Sportbusiness Journal|
|9th Best small-metro area in US for Military Retirees to live in--Military.com
and USAA on proximity to bases, VA Hospitals, crime and unemployment
rates, housing prices and presence of colleges and universities (2010).
|Berks County--our neighbor to the east offers many tourist
- The Pagoda
- Heritage Center
- Daniel Boone
Spring Mill Park on the Tulpehocken Creek
Blue Marsh Dam
Historical Society & Museum
Boyerstown Auto Museum
Hawk Mountain Sanctuary.
neighbor to the north:
Sweet Arrow Lake
Echo Valley Campground
Swatara State Park
Schuylkill County Fair
Stone Mountain Winery
Renninger's Farm Market
ties: Schuykill Courthouse, Historical Society, Buddy's Log Cabin,
Conrad Richter, Appalachian Trail, Locust Lake, and Tuscarora State Park
All Schuylkill County nominations include:
- Ashland Coal Mine
- Pioneer Coal Tunnel
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Kettle Bean Soup
- Kovaleneks Kielbasa
- Pulled Pork
- Swatara State Park
- Appalachian Trail
- Sweet Arrow Lake Park
- Echo Valley Campground
- Locust Lake
- Tuscarora State Park
- Union Canal
- Highbridge Reservoir
- Pine Grove Theater
- Schuylkill County Council
- Schuylkill County Fair
- Schuylkill County Historical Society
- Schuylkill Mall
- Benjamin Creek Winery
- Greater Pottsville Winery
- Long Trout Winery
- Stone Mountain Winery
- Yuengling Brewery
- Buddy's Log Cabin
- Ben... Creek
- Boyer Mansion, Outwood
- Church School
- Conrad Richter
- Jacob's Church
- Hibernian House
- High Ridge Industrial
- Indianhead painted rocks
- Mother's Memorial
- The Old Forge
- Renninger's Farm Market
- Stonehedge Gardens
- Walking Trails
- Yuengling Mansion
- Jim Thorpe
- Lehigh George State Park & River
- Beltzville State Park
- Mauch Chunck Opera House, Lake and State Park
- ASO Packer Mansion
- Molly Maguires
Other in no particular order:
- Weatherly Museum
- Glenonoko Falls
- Number 9 Coal Mine Museum
- Coal Fuel USS
- Eurana Park
- Hickory Run State Park
- White Water Rafting
- Lake Haut
- Penns Peak
- LCC Community College
- Boulder Field
- Big Boulder Ski Resort
- Blue Montain Ski
- Blue Ridge Country Club
- The County Seat
- Eurana Park
- Peddler's Village
- Rices Market
- Kids Castle
- Village Square
- Fairways Golf Course